Re: WCAG 2 fails to directly address major accessibility issue

Felix Miata wrote:

> In either case, all except users of old IE versions can _resize_ the
> page's text. Resizing is a defense, which like most defenses, is
> unnecessary to utilize in the absence of offensive behavior (disrespect
> of browser defaults).

I see a lot of pressure on this list to move the responsibility to the
user and thus remove WCAG rules, based on the argument that modern
browsers allow people to "defend" themselves.  A lot of that pressure
seems to succeed, so I would suggest the trend is away from what you
(and I) would want on this point.

That pressure generally ignores the fact that many users will never
learn how to use the "defence" mechanisms, and that using them is a
major inconvenience for the users.

Yes.  Zooming brings the pain of panning, as well as the need to keep
setting/adjusting it for each new site, and text size overrides more
often than not result in overlapping, or nearly overlapping text.  I
have that using Mozilla on Linux, either as a result of sites being too
reliant on exact rendering, or because I have used Mozilla's minimum
font size settings, although with fairly conservative values.

--
David Woolley