Re: Web video accessibility

Tay, the link works for me in Mac OS X (10.5.8) and Firefox 5.0.1.I turned off my ad and pop-up blockers before starting this test.

Off the top of my head, I can think of these main issues for accessibility of a video player:
	* Does it support captioning? (If I cannot hear, is it possible to display the text of the script or transcript as it is being said? It appears that
EmbedPlus does support captioning, although the information in the
captions includes very little of what is in the sound track, and the
sound track does not include everything that is in the captions.)

	* Does it support video description? (If I cannot see, can I open a document
that, interwoven into the script or transcript, gives me a rich
description of what is going on?)
	* If I have no mouse, or if I cannot operate the mouse — and especially if I am blind — can I still get to and operate the controls? (Will the tab key take me
from one control to the next, and can I operate each of them with the
space bar?)
	* Assuming I can get to and operate the controls from the keyboard, can I tell which control I
am on at any one time and what I can expect it to do? (Are form controls labeled in a way that allows my my screen reader to announce the labels to me and allows me to recognize their function?)
	* Assuming I can get to, recognize, and operate the form controls, is the tab order correct? (Does the sequence of controls I encounter when I hit the tab key match the
order in which these controls appear? As shown below, it does not.)When I get to this page, nothing seems to happen when I hit the tab key. To jumpstart my review of your viewer itself, I used the mouse to
start the video on the right (the plus view, not the standard). When I did, the captioning window opened by
default. From there, here is what happened with each successive pressing of the tab key. When I indicate a function — for example, Next — that
means that the function's control was highlighted by a yellow box. In
this list, I've also indicated whether the control was operable with the space bar when highlighted:

	1. nothing
	2. nothing
	3. Next (not operable)
	4. nothing
	5. Previous (operable)
	6. nothing
	7. Slow (operable)
	8. nothing
	9. Replay (operable, but does same thing as "Previous")
	10. nothing
	11. nothing
	12. nothing
	13. Get (operable — opens in a new
window, but nothing in the new window is highlighted and the first time I press tab clears the contents from both "Code" fields)
	14. nothing

	15. Full Screen (operable, but then Tab no longer works)
	16. More (operable, but there is
no focus indicator on the new screen. And would I understand where you
have taken me — what am I expected to be able to do here?)
	17. nothing
	18. Zoom (operable, but I have no
control over the area zoomed in on. I can't select the area to zoom in
on, and I can't pan the shot once I have zoomed in)
	19. nothing
	20. Read (operable, but where am I?)
	21. nothing
	22. nothing
	23. Close Caption window (not operable)
	24. nothing (but cycle is restarting; note that the next three actions are same as first three)
	25. nothing
	26. nothing
	27. Next
I could not get out of this particular set of controls except by one
irreproducible event that led to a highlighted progress slider. When I
got to the slider, I couldn't operate it. And if I ever got to the other controls in that top row — Start/Stop, Sound, CC (which, apparently,
will produce a transcript?), 360p, and Watch Later — I couldn't tell
that I had.

So your viewer looks promising, but it also seems to me that you have more work to do to make it accessible.

Cliff