Re: Microsoft PowerPoint accessibility

From: Wayne Dick <wed@csulb.edu>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 12:04:21 -0700
To: deborah.kaplan@suberic.net, W3C WAI ig <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Dear Deborah,

Now, I think we actually agree.  The User Agent Accessibility
Guidelines are up for review right now.  We need to review this
carefully.  Browsers, media players like Acrobat Reader, screen
readers, talking browsers and other reading assistants are all user
agents.  Also, this matter needs to brought up in the 508 revise.

User agents must recognize accessibility messages and use them.  That
applies to assistive technologies as well as mainstream browsers and
media players.  It makes no sense to give well meaning developer a
well crafted set of rules and then tell them they cannot use them.
We've gone to all this work to set realistic standards for content,
and the UA's let us down.

Our frustrations are the same. The criteria and sufficient conditions
are sound, the UA implementations fail.

Cheers,
Wayne