Re: headings versus section headings

From: Christophe Strobbe <christophe.strobbe@esat.kuleuven.be>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 16:37:03 +0100
To: "W3C WAI ig" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Hi Bart,

At 16:24 2/12/2009, Bart Simons wrote:
>what is the difference between a heading and a section heading?
>
>SC 2.4.6 speaks about headings, whereas 2.4.10 speaks about section headings?
>
>Do both refer to different things or are these terms synonyms?

It is not a matter of different meanings but of different requirements:

SC 2.4.6 requires that headings describe the topic or purpose of the
relevant content, but not that headings are available. In other
words, *if* headings are available, they need to be descriptive.

SC 2.4.10 requires that headings are available for every section,
hence the term "section headings".

Best regards,

Christophe

--