RE: More than one h1 tag

I'm in agreement with AWK - the specs do not forbid the use of multiple <H1>s.
However, in practice it will make sense to only use one <H1> per page - this
should describe the primary subject of the page - in the same way as a printed
or Word-processed document would only have one top-level heading, normally the
title of the document.
For what it's worth: I use <H2> to describe the page (including primary /
secondary navigation / main content area title); and <H3> as the paragraph or
section headings. Headings, properly nested, helps provide context to
speechreader users and allow them to quickly navigate around the page, jumping
to different zones on the page, or jumping from one <H2> to the next <H2>, etc.

Now just to make sure that none of this discussion relains relevant, we'll see
a brand new structure in XHTML 2/ HTML 5 when the H element will assume the
characteristics of H1 or other Hn element based on it's position in the
hierarchy of the document.

Kind regards
Harry

Mob: +44 7826 926 994