Re: Consistent ID (3.2.4), Link Purpose (2.4.4), and Multiple Ways (2.4.5)

On 4 Aug 2009, at 16:54, Chris Reeve wrote:

> David, I do not think you understand what I am trying to do.

What you want to do is fairly clear — it is why you want to do it that
is not.

>  I am trying to achieve WCAG 2.0 compliance with the given
> information.

I'm trying to determine the purpose of the link. Why do you think it
needs information about the file format and size in it? Why do you
think that information is important enough to provide to a minority of
users but not important enough to convince your boss to allow you to
provide it for the majority?

If the information is important for the link purpose, then I believe
that hiding it from users with CSS would violate the spirit (although
possibly not the letter) of Link Purpose.

If, on the other hand, it isn't, then the other options you mention
include simply not wasting your time putting the information in in the
first place.

(Please keep the mailing list in the loop on this. I'm sure it has
subscribers who are more knowledgeable about me on the subject).

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk