From: Black Widow Web Design <webmistress@blackwidows.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 19:57:14 +0100
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
on 28/07/2009 19:32 Chris Reeve said the following:
> Please take a look at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20081211/C15. I have a
> sample style sheet that has a:focus, a:active, a:hover, and a:visited
>  all set at the same color.
> Does this mean that Focus Visible fails?

In my opinion, yes. Sighted keyboard navigators will have difficulty
differentiating between a link with current focus and one that has been

> If it does, how do you suggest it should be changed? All of my a:
> links are set to #0000FF

One fairly easy option is to reverse the background and text color on
a:focus and a:active links. It highlights the link with current focus
and saves the poor sighted keyboard navigator having to play "hunt the
current link" on a screen that may be crowded with links.

In my opinion, it's not quite so important to highlight the a:hover
state as users already receive visual feedback via the changed cursor
(assuming you haven't messed with the cursor, that its...).

Hope that helps.

Mel P.