Re: Plone CMS improvement ideas: please support accessibility

From: Christophe Strobbe <christophe.strobbe@esat.kuleuven.be>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 20:20:52 +0200
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Hi Denis, all,

At 16:24 6/07/2009, Denis Boudreau wrote:
>Good morning Christophe, all,
>My team would be very interested in taking up that responsability.

That's great!
We now have several people who are interested in
contributing (with different levels of time commitment).
I don't know yet how this collaboration will work
in practice but we should be able to find that out in the next few weeks.
I have asked some practical questions in the comments at
(If the previous URL breaks, you can use this
one: <http://tinyurl.com/lgujbd>.)

Best regards,

P.S. Accessibility is now second ranked in the list of improvement ideas!

>We are a team of 8 accessibility experts from
>Quebec, Canada using Plone on some of the
>projects we develop for our clients. We have
>been thinking of doing this for a while to
>improve accessibility in Plone. We could do it
>for the community instead of doing it only for ourselves.
>It would be a great opportunity to give back, as
>Plone has given us tremedously in the past few years.
>Where do we sign up? :)
>Denis Boudreau,
>Directeur général
>Coopérative AccessibilitéWeb
>1751 rue Richardson, bureau 6.111
>Montréal (Qc), Canada  H3K 1G6
>Téléphone : +1 514.312.3378
>Sans frais : +1 877.315.5550
>Télécopieur : +1 514.667.2216
>On 6-Jul-09, at 4:42 AM, Christophe Strobbe wrote:
>>At 18:25 2/07/2009, Christophe Strobbe wrote:
>>>Plone CMS has a voting page for improvement ideas at
>>Accessibility has moved up quite a bit in the ranking :-)
>>But it appears that Plone is looking for a new
>>volunteer to own the accessibility parts of Plone.
>>Alexander Limi (one of the developers who
>>started Plone in 1999) explains that this would mean:
>>- Testing for accessibility problems in
>>(preferrably before it is released :) for every release
>>- Filing bugs when you find a particular
>>accessibility problem, preferrably with code
>>examples on how to change the markup, so even
>>people that don't know much about accessibility can fix it
>>- Organize real-world sessions where Plone is
>>tested with screen readers, so people can point
>>out the issues when they find them. (This is
>>aspirational, but would be very effective, I think)
>>You don't really need to be a programmer, but
>>basic knowledge on HTML and CSS is of course useful to write good bug reports.
>>Any takers?
>>Best regards,
>>>Accessibility is at rank 13, far behind, for
>>>example, SVG support and calendar improvements.
>>>Some extra "encouragement" to improve
>>>accessibility looks like a good idea. There are only 9 votes left!
>>>Best regards,
>>>Christophe Strobbe
>>>P.S. Ticket 9298 at
>>>requests implementation of WAI-ARIA landmarks.
>>>(You need a login to see the ticket.) The suggestion came from Peter Krantz:

Christophe Strobbe
Kasteelpark Arenberg 10 bus 2442
B-3001 Leuven-Heverlee
tel: +32 16 32 85 51
"Better products and services through end-user
empowerment" http://www.usem-net.eu/
Please don't invite me to LinkedIn, Facebook,
Quechup or other "social networks". You may have
agreed to their "privacy policy", but I haven't.