Re: Which ARIA Roles do you use to mark-up clickable regions within a content view?

Phill Jenkins wrote:

> You need to explain a little more what happens when you click or what is
> the behavior when you click to us, more than they generate events or
> trigger actions - most all UI widget do that.   For example, if clicking
> on the paragraph generate an event that updates the contents in another
> panel - such as a table on contents link take you to the corresponding
> page, then it seems to me to behave like a simple link - so code it as a
> link.

If it updates, in a general sense, some other part of the display, its a
button, not a link.  If it simply replaces it wtih the contents of
another resource, it is a link, but a frameset link, not a simple one.

I agree with the general principle that the UI role depends on the
author intent, not on the physical structure used.

(Many things that are physically links in current web pages are really
buttons, because it is easier to produce a graphical button as a link
than as a button.  Unless it is used purely to pop-up a new window,
scripting in a link is a strong indication that it is really a button.)
--
David Woolley