screenreader support for language subcodes

From: Christophe Strobbe <christophe.strobbe@esat.kuleuven.be>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 16:54:03 +0100
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Cc: "WCAG" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

HTML provides attributes for language information. "Language tags"
are used to identify languages. The primary subtag [1] can be
supplemented with additional subtags for script, region, variant
etctera (see the tutorial Language tags in HTML and XML [2]) although
it is recommended to keep them as short as possible.

The HTML specification also defines how language codes should be
interpreted [3]: user agents should favour an exact match, but should
also consider matching primary codes to be sufficient. However, I
recently ran some tests that showed that JAWS interprets language
codes differently: if there is no exact match, JAWS appears to fall
back to the default language (which is set by the user), even if the
primary subtag of a composite language tag is supported. In other
words, with JAWS configured to British English as the default
language, a page with 'lang="de"' is read in German (language
detection) but a page with 'en-US' are read in British English
instead of American English. With JAWS configured to American English
as the default language, a page with 'lang="de"' is read in German
(language detection) but a page with 'en-GB' are read in American
English instead of British English.
I haven't tested this yet with other default languages or other AT,
but I have set up a page at <http://tinyurl.com/2dbcxl> that links to
six test pages with different language tags. I would appreciate it if
people could run some tests with other default lnaguages and other
AT. I will then add the test results to the table at the bottom of the page.

[1] See Codes for the Representation of Names of Languages:
[2] <http://www.w3.org/International/articles/language-tags/>
[3] <http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/dirlang.html#h-8.1.3>

Best regards,

I haven't.