RE: WCAG 2.0 and scripting

From: Patrick Lauke <P.H.Lauke@salford.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 12:21:11 +0100
To: "WAI Interest Group" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> Harry Loots

> The biggest stumbling block in meeting Level AA compliance,
> is that the
> software is reliant on javascript to deliver a critical part of its
> functionality. This is not easy to fix.
>
> Software provider is trying to claim that they are developing
> to WCAG 2.0
> standards and that under WCAG 2.0 it would be possible to
> claim compliance,
> despite the fact that this functionality provided via
> Javascript may not be
> available to all users.

I believe it comes down to whether or not Javascript is considered "accessibility supported"
http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#accessibility-support

If done the right way, Javascript can work fine with AT like screen readers, and my gut feeling would be that there are "accessibility-supported  user agents that are available to users" that support it fine.

Granted, this shuts out users who (through choice, or situations beyond their control) can't/won't run Javascript, but I believe that under WCAG 2.0 that's fine (as it's about access for users with disabilities, not "universal access").

IMHO, of course.

Patrick
________________________________
Patrick H. Lauke