Re: Incorporating Flash into a Website

From: Jon Ribbens <jon+w3c-wai-ig@unequivocal.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2006 10:37:47 +0100
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Christopher Hoffman <christopher.a.hoffman@gmail.com> wrote:
>    There was an article on A List Apart a few years ago
>    (http://www.alistapart.com/articles/flashsatay/ ) that covered embedding
>    Flash without the non-standard embed tag. Does the method described work
>    universally?

Apparently. Also a point that is often overlooked is that, if it does
not matter in your specific case whether or not the Flash file is
streamed (i.e. starts playing as soon as it has partially downloaded
rather than waiting until it has fully downloaded), you can simply
use:

  <object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="123" height="456">
  <param name="movie" value="foo.swf">
  ... alternative non-flash content ...
  </object>

This is valid and works in all browsers that I am aware of.