RE: Best practices for screen readers

Bianca Taulman wrote:

"1. When using breadcrumb navigation, it seems to be confusing to me (especially since it reads "greater than" for the arrows between the links). How do breadcrumbs fit into best practices for accessibility?"

	Most screen readers will allow the user to change the amount of punctuation that is spoken or translated to refreshable Braille.

"2. Is there a way to make the screen reader know that a number is a phone number or street address so it reads 2-9-1-6 instead of 2,916?"

	Again, with most screen readers, this is a configuration setting that the user can control.

"3. Is there a way to use markup to have the reader pause, for example between reading a list of links?"

	Use punctuation as you would expect it to affect someone reading aloud. A screen reader will follow punctuation accurately and alter speed, cadence and flow accordingly.

Regards,
Léonie.
--
Nomensa - humanising technology

Léonie Watson            |  Head of Accessibility
t. +44 (0)117 929 7333
Two new accessibility training masterclasses - available to book now.
http://www.nomensa.com/training.html

Visit our website today:
http://www.nomensa.com/

Nomensa Email Disclaimer:
http://www.nomensa.com/email-disclaimer.html

Nice to meet you, I am new to the list and learning more about accessibility each day. I have a few questions about ways to make a screen reader experience better for a user.

I am using Home Page Reader and I've noticed a couple of things.

1. When using breadcrumb navigation, it seems to be confusing to me (especially since it reads "greater than" for the arrows between the links). How do breadcrumbs fit into best practices for accessibility?

2. Is there a way to make the screen reader know that a number is a phone number or street address so it reads 2-9-1-6 instead of 2,916?

3. Is there a way to use markup to have the reader pause, for example between reading a list of links?

I look forward to being a part of this list, thank you!

Bianca Taulman