Re: Find as you type for navigation

From: Lloyd Rasmussen <lras@loc.gov>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 09:00:34 -0400
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

You are probably both right.  The interface depends on timing.  If you type
several characters per second, you can zero in on your filename.  If you go
slower than perhaps one character per second, you must repeatedly type the
same letter.  I don't know the exact threshold, but that's the behavior in
Windows Explorer list boxes.

At 10:52 AM 7/29/2006, you wrote:

>Bailey, Bruce wrote:
>
>>File lists in Windows Explorer use
>>first-letter-only-check-where-you-are-repeat-as-necessary whereas email
>>lists in Outlook uses type-as-many-letters-as-you-like-and-jump-there.
>
>A minor point: unless I'm misunderstanding, I think that's wrong...Win
>Explorer lets you type as many letters as you like to refine your selection.

>--
>Patrick H. Lauke

... Creating implements of mass instruction.
Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Staff Engineer
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress    (202) 707-0535   <http://www.loc.gov/nls>
HOME:  <http://lras.home.sprynet.com>
The opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent
those of NLS.