RE: Find as you type for navigation

From: Bailey, Bruce <Bruce.Bailey@ed.gov>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 08:13:51 -0400
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> I'm reasonably sure that this was added during the jump
> from Windows 2000 to Windows XP, but I may be wrong.

Since it would save me face, I would like this to be true, but Win2K has the same feature.

> That's not your fault. It's the fault of browser/OS manufacturers
> for putting their (often undocumented) easter-egg style
> functionality for "power users" in their applications.

It works on the desktop (icon view) too!  Now that I understand the behavior better, I think it is pretty slick.

>From a little experimenting, it seems that repeated presses of the same letter always cycle, but the OS is always trying to form a match too.  So, picking the example Jesper started us with:

k pause k pause k:  Cycles between first three items in list that start with the letter k.

kkk (quickly):  Cycles (quickly) between first three items in list (that start with the letter k) -- even if you have an item in the list with a name that starts with "kkk".

kka (quickly):  Cycles between first two k items in list, then (if available) jumps to item name that starts with "kka" *OR* (if no match) beeps and selects item with close lexical match.