Re: Google Accessible Search

From: Brian Kelly <webfocus@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 07:49:36 +0100
To: "John Foliot" <jfoliot@stanford.edu>
Cc: "Sailesh Panchang" <sailesh.panchang@deque.com>, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
This thread reminds me that back in 1998 I gave a brief presentation at a
WAI meeting held in Toronto on "Accessibility, Automation and Metadata" -
see http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/web-focus/accessibility/metadata/www8/

I suggested that metadata could help with the automated processing of
resources to enhance accessibility e.g. I'm looking for details of a
restaurant in Toronto and any listing will do as long as it's accessible.

I suggested that the metadata could be produced by automated tools
(e.gknowledge of the formats; etc.), by the author or by the
community.

Possibly the Google accessible search  service oculd build on some of these
ideas.

Brian

On 7/25/06, John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu> wrote:

> Sailesh Panchang wrote:
> > Also one needs to be aware that being listed in
> > Google's accessibility search is not a certification of having
> > attained conformance when that is a legal necessity.
>
> Yes, I have some real concerns that this initiative will be used for less
> than honorable reasons, such as the one Sailesh pointed out.  Just because
> site ranks in this "new" Accessible Google does not for an instant mean
> that
> it meets any specific guideline or mandate, any more than having a Bobby
> icon on your site means it is accessible.
>
> I watch with a wary eye...
>
> JF

Brian Kelly
UK Web Focus