Accesskeys, was: RE: User friendly 404s reconsidered

From: Jesper Tverskov <jesper@tverskov.dk>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 08:22:50 +0200
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

I agree with John Foliot that the HTML accesskey attribute has been and
remains a disaster. It is so badly specified in the spec that it is fair to
recommend not to use it. I only use alt+4 as an experiment to keep the dream
alive.

I do believe that access keys to links in webpages could make navigation a
lot easier. The main target is interestingly enough not people with
disabilities but close to half the internet users in many countries
accessing the Internet using a notebook.

I do believe that access keys to links in web pages are not an author
problem but a user agent problem. The browsers should implement something
like the "Find as you type" feature in Firefox with two modes: "text" and
"links", and some accelerator key to choose between the two.

When used for links, "Find as you Type" should only go after the fist letter
of the link text, and then jump to the next. A few years ago it was actually
possible to configure "Find as you type" to work that way for links.

Best regards,

Jesper Tverskov
www.smackthemouse.com