RE: linked list alternative to nested menus

From: Paul Novitski <paul@juniperwebcraft.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 08:04:08 -0800
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

At 03:15 AM 3/13/2006, Léonie Watson wrote:
>         Jaws has the facility to tell you about
> the relationship between nested lists. As far
> as I'm aware, Window Eyes also has this capacity as do other screen readers.
>
>         Using the code you gave as an example,
> Jaws would announce "List of 3 items, contains
> 2 nested lists". Either assuming that the
> entire navigational structure was visible to a
> screen reader from the start, or that a parent
> link had been activated to produce a
> sub-navigation list on a fresh page, the
> logical step would be to jump from the top of
> the parent list, to the top of the desired nested list.
>
>         Both Jaws and Window Eyes provide
> shortcut keys to cycle through instances of
> lists on a page. It would only take a single
> keystroke to move from the top of the parent
> list to the top of the nested list, removing
> the need to repeatedly listen to each of the preceeding parent list items.
>
>         The beauty of this approach is that the
> relationship isevident and the structure of the
> site is conveyed through the structure of the lists. Simple and accurate.

Thanks, Léonie.  This confirms my current
practices and makes a switch to a new menu
structure unnecessary & counterproductive.  From
what you say it sounds as though it's much
smarter to mark up only the current sub-list,
rather than marking them all up and suppressing
display of the non-current ones from visual browsers as I used to do.

Cheers,
Paul