From: David Poehlman [mailto:david.poehlman@handsontechnologeyes.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 14 March 2006 01:39
To: Léonie Watson
Cc: Paul Novitski; w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: linked list alternative to nested menus

All this is true, but what if I don't have all that power?

On Mar 13, 2006, at 6:15 AM, Léonie Watson wrote:

Paul Novitski wrote:

"This makes semantic sense but could wear on your patience if you're hearing the page through a screen-reader.  If you activate a link in the parent menu and bring up a new page that again contains the navigation menu, how do you know that a sub-menu exists inside the parent item?  Do you have to listen through all the menu options you've already heard in order to discover and hear the new sub-menu?"

	Jaws has the facility to tell you about the relationship between nested lists. As far as I'm aware, Window Eyes also has this capacity as do other screen readers.

	Using the code you gave as an example, Jaws would announce "List of
3 items, contains 2 nested lists". Either assuming that the entire navigational structure was visible to a screen reader from the start, or that a parent link had been activated to produce a sub-navigation list on a fresh page, the logical step would be to jump from the top of the parent list, to the top of the desired nested list.

	Both Jaws and Window Eyes provide shortcut keys to cycle through instances of lists on a page. It would only take a single keystroke to move from the top of the parent list to the top of the nested list, removing the need to repeatedly listen to each of the preceeding parent list items.

	The beauty of this approach is that the relationship isevident and the structure of the site is conveyed through the structure of the lists. Simple and accurate.

Regards,
Léonie.

---
Nomensa - humanising technology

Léonie Watson             |  Head of Accessibility
t. +44 (0)117 929 7333    |

Keep up to date with industry and Nomensa news, sign up to Nomensa newsletters http://www.nomensa.com/news/nomensa-newsletters.html

Visit our web site today:
http://www.nomensa.com