Re: Key bindings... (user agents - was accesskey was ...)

John Foliot - WATS.ca wrote:

>Charles McCathieNevile wrote: (Discussion)

It seems to me that this needs to be moved to the User Agent
Accessibility Guidelines and out of WCAG.  If the whole thing is better
managed by the user agent and the client, then that is where it
belongs.  Once it is there, developers can be informed in WCAG to avoid
setting any key bindings themselves and allow the user agent and client
to manage it.  You'd have to try moving it out of markup too.

A lot of design considerations are put into specifications with all
sorts of good intention, but as time unfolds we find their
implementation was not able to foresee potential problems and we have to
untangle that and reengineer it in a more appropriate way.  It needs
this type of complete revamp in order to get away from the problem of
designers assigning key bindings.

It seems that to getting to that point will take an evolution of
processes and recommendations.  Maybe any other areas of WCAG that share
the same type of contentious issues need to be transported to UAAG too.

Geoff Deering