Re: picture file standard for embossers

Hi Bruce,
Thank you for your answer.
 What I am thinking about is that after the picture is modified by a
designer so that it is suitable for a tactile that it could be saved   to
a file type that is specific to tactiles and that any embosser would
recognize it and be able to emboss it.  I understand that the producers of
the embossers would have to decide to support this file type. Right now
the embossers fall into, I think, 3 groups. One that can only emboss
Braille, another that can emboss braille and has a graphic mode ( dots
closer together) and the Viewplus embossers which have, I believe the
closest dot resolution.
It would be working towards a type of standard. And it could be attached
to a picture file as a possibility to open just as one has alternative
text.
You wrote that you "wouldn't expect it to happen soon", where would such
things be decided?
Thanks,
Lisa

"Bailey, Bruce" <Bruce.Bailey@ed.gov> skrev 29. juni 2006 kl. 13:42 +0000:
>No, and I wouldn't expect that to happen soon.  Tactile modeling in
>general is an evolving art.  The embossers capable of graphics vary in
>features (resolution, texture types).  Finally, and most confounding,
>there is no general algorithmic way to represent color tactually.  There
>is no foolproof way to represent a color image with grayscale, let alone
>black and white line art.  There are some embossers that do a good job
>out of the box with black and white line art, but anything more
>complicated than that needs to be considerably reworked almost from
>scratch.

Lisa Yayla
Huseby Kompetansesenter
Oslo Norway