Re: Use of pre-compilated text-fields in forms

From: David Poehlman <david.poehlman@handsontechnologeyes.com>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 06:52:19 -0400
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
To: Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@ncbi.ie>

as a blind user who still uses technologies requiring a cue here from
time to time, the frustration encountered is lack of text.

On May 9, 2006, at 6:44 AM, Joshue O Connor wrote:

Though it has already been very well covered in this thread I do with
to add my voice
to the chorus. IMO Placeholder text, just don't do it. There is no
need for it anymore, as it
ruins user input and frustrates interaction, esp where you find
people submitting
searches like "Entholidays abroader Keyword" etc.

I am glad to hear that it is being removed from WCAG 2 for even
though it is conceived to assist some older UA's , it really did
cause more problems than it solved, especially for blind users.
Josh

Joshue O Connor

Senior Web Accessibility Consultant

Centre for Inclusive Technology (CFIT)
National Council for the Blind of Ireland

Website: http://www.cfit.ie
E-Mail: joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie
Tel: 01 8821980