RE: Use of pre-compilated text-fields in forms

From: Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@ncbi.ie>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 11:44:17 +0100
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Though it has already been very well covered in this thread I do with to add my voice
to the chorus. IMO Placeholder text, just don't do it. There is no need for it anymore, as it
ruins user input and frustrates interaction, esp where you find people submitting
searches like "Entholidays abroader Keyword" etc.

I am glad to hear that it is being removed from WCAG 2 for even though it is conceived to
assist some older UA's , it really did cause more problems than it solved, especially for blind users.

Josh

Joshue O Connor

Senior Web Accessibility Consultant

Centre for Inclusive Technology (CFIT)
National Council for the Blind of Ireland

Website: http://www.cfit.ie
E-Mail: joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie
Tel: 01 8821980