RE: Use of pre-compilated text-fields in forms

From: Bailey, Bruce <Bruce.Bailey@ed.gov>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 16:25:40 -0400
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Apologies for not commenting on this earlier.

Laboo asks with regard to WCAG 1.0 P3 10.4:
> Is there any valid alternative to pass this hard accessibility validation?

And suggests:
<input name="textfield" type="text" value="word">

Does this example actually work?  I thought default place holder text was much harder than that?

Colin wrote regarding the value attribute in input elements:
> This indicates to me that value is not a required attribute
> as far as the spec is concerned.

Is there anything wrong with *WCAG* requiring *optional* attributes?  Does the above actually result in *invalid* code?  (I think that was one of Laboo's concerns.)

I agree with Colin that you can't rely on the results of automatic tests to decide how you are doing.  Do you really think your site is otherwise Triple A conformant?  That would amaze and delight me.