RE: Best automated Accessibility evaluation tool

Paul -

I assume you mean accessibility testing for websites. There are a number of
tools that I've found helpful, but as you know, it is important to note that
none of them are effective in absence of real human testing.

Watchfire WebXact (http://www.webxact.com <http://www.webxact.com/> ) is
good starting point, as it shows you where some of the biggest problems lie.
If webxact finds a recurring priority 1 error, you know you've got something
that needs attention.

Chris Pederik's Web Developer's Toolbar for Firefox
(http://chrispederick.com/work/webdeveloper/) is also an excellent tool. It
helps you evaluate a site's functionality when css and/or javascript
disabled. It also will quickly outline any images that are missing alt text,
and it will let you do a number of other things are quite helpful in
accessibility testing.

Unless you have your own license for screen reading software, it can be hard
to get handle on how the site will be read. While it's not a substitute for
screen reading software, the lynx text-only browser
(http://www.fredlwm.hpg.ig.com.br/cygwin/lynx/) can give you an idea of some
of the problems a screen reader may encounter.

Colin Lieberman

IT Manager

Disability Rights Advocates

449 15th Street, Suite 303