RE: Accessibility for Deaf

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 01:15:08 -0400
To: WAI-IG <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

>From: Cynthia Waddell <[15]cynthia.waddell@icdri.org>

Cynthia Waddell still works in our industry?

>Let's drop the "deaf/dumb" description in the subject header. This
>is offensive to my community and harks back to those days when the
>general population thought that we were dumb simply because we had a
>hearing loss.

No, they thought you were *mute*, which is what "dumb" means in this
sense and is untrue for many deaf people. The fact that it also means
"stupid" is merely a second reason not to use it.

--

     Joe Clark | joeclark@joeclark.org
     Expect criticism if you top-post