Re: Accessibility for Deaf/Dumb

From: Julian Voelcker <asp@tvw.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 10:00:30 +0100
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Hi All,

> With literacy rates among the unimpaired as they are, I think it's a
> little unfair to assume that people who have disability in hearing AND
> speech will necessarily be able to read.

OK, that is the key point.  I have assumed that people with hearing and
speech disabilities would be literate since they would have to be able to
read a certain amount in order to get onto a computer, fire up a browser
and navigate to website.

I also take on board Mark's point on the use of iconography for people
with learning disabilities and have done some work on this in the past
with Mencap and it is something that we are considering for the current
client's site.

Whilst I can now see a benefit of providing sign language 'avatars' on
the site I am interested to see that the RNID don't use it on their new
site - if anyone on their site would, they would.

Cheers,

Julian Voelcker
Cirencester, United Kingdom