Re: longdesc

From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 22:17:14 +0100
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> It is generally supported by extensions - there is an Opera script that
> adds a link if you want it, and I believe there is something similar
> for  IE. In Mozilla you can get the link in the properties, and then
> copy/paste  it to follow - I am not sure if the Opera script was written
> to work in  Mozilla too, but it may have been.

Pimping my own wares for Firefox:
<https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=firefox&id=273>
(with a more thorough explanation and test page at
<http://www.splintered.co.uk/experiments/55/>)

But in general, it boils down to: if by "supported" we mean "exposed to
the user in any kind of workable, user friendly way" then the answer
looks rather bleak out of the box.
I would not rely on having important information simply linked to from a
longdesc attribute - and I would certainly not advocate having the "[D]"
link either. A discreet link with meaningful text after the image would
be my choice...

--
Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com