Checkbox Label Problem

From: Matthew Smith <matt@kbc.net.au>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 13:40:46 +0930
To: WAI Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Hi All

A little problem for you; I am doing a little more work on my (intended
to be) accessible RSS aggregator <http://www.websticky.net/aggiegpl>.

Now that I have been using it for some time, I have found that the
operation that I perform most is to send items that are not of interest
to 'trash'.  This operation involves following a 'trash' link for the
relevant item, which sends a request to the server to set the trash flag
for the item in the database, then send the page back, minus the item

This can become somewhat tedious, especially when a feed might return 50
items, only two being of interest.

To remedy this, I am providing an alternative way to perform bulk
operations, by means of selecting items by form checkboxes.

Here is my problem:  I want to put the checkbox before the item title.
Whilst the title might make acceptable contents for a <label></label>
for the checkbox, the item title is already an external link to the page
described by the title.  I assume that using a link (which is an action)
as a label for another, different action is a bad idea.

I do not want to have to add further text, just to label the checkbox.

I seem to recall that putting the relevant description in as a title
attribute for the checkbox would not work with all user agents.

Any ideas as to how best to label my checkboxes?  (Sample of a current
item, sans checkbox, below; checkbox would go immediately after the
opening of the <li>)

Matthew Smith

HTML example:

<li class="linklist">
<a class="headline"
title="view full article Engineers still chase shuttle fix"
>Engineers still chase shuttle fix</a>
[ <a href="/aggie.pl?a=archv;itemid=2139"
title="Archive Engineers still chase shuttle fix" >Archive</a> |
chase shuttle fix" >Trash</a> ]
shuttle Discovery will now fly no earlier than 26 July, Nasa says.