Re: [Fwd: Re: WCAG 1.0 checkpoint 10.4]

From: Derek Featherstone <feather@wats.ca>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 10:46:28 -0400
To: WAI Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

David Poehlman wrote:

>There are still many people out there including myself who have no
>idea how many chars a field can take unless there is place holder
>info in the form.

This is very interesting, indeed. Like the others, I would argue that
there is a problem with the software that is doing the translation of
the form to braille. This seems to me to be a perfect case where the
maxlength attribute on the form should be used, and in fact seen as
informative by the software.

A text input that takes a two-letter state abbreviation should be have a
maxlength of 2 for all users. If the braille software isn't using that,
perhaps it should be? I can't think of any cases (off the top of my
head) where using the maxlength attribute in this manner would be a
problem...

Cheers,
Derek.