Re: WCAG 1.0 checkpoint 10.4

From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 14:09:38 +0100
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> On the other hand, valid HTML requires that there is always one radio
> button selected i a group of radio buttons (not check boxes).

Chaals, not be nitpicky, but: the W3C validator (yes, as flawed as it
is) doesn't pick this up as an error. Also, from the spec:

"If no radio button in a set sharing the same control name is initially
"on", user agent behavior for choosing which control is initially "on"
is undefined. Note. Since existing implementations handle this case
differently, the current specification differs from RFC 1866 ([RFC1866]
section 8.1.2.4), which states:

     At all times, exactly one of the radio buttons in a set is checked.
If none of the <INPUT> elements of a set of radio buttons specifies
`CHECKED', then the user agent must check the first radio button of the
set initially.

Since user agent behavior differs, authors should ensure that in each
set of radio buttons that one is initially "on"."

http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/interact/forms.html#radio

So setting an initially selected radio button seems to be a *should*,
rather than a *must*. Or am I missing something.

--
Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com