WCAG 1.0 checkpoint 10.4

From: <Sebastiano.Nutarelli@csi.it>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 14:39:44 +0200
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

I've not a official solution, just a little tip...
I don't respect (in this case i think it's a backdated checkpoint) usually
this WCAG 1.0 checkpoint (above all for edit-boxes about blind people, that
are screen reader user, notice me in a test series that it's a matter for
them navigate in a page with these - they prefer navigate without them
'cause it's faster than if you respect checkpoint 10.4 - I define this
"real-accessibility").
About radio button instead: I usually don't respect checkpoint 10.4 'cause
(as in your example) isn't pratically useful do it.
I respect checkpoint 10.4 also when it's pratically useful (think about
situation in which you're asking nationality in a web application to pay
taxes in your country - basically 99% of users were born there and so it
could be really useful suggest one choice with a pre-selected
radiobutton..).
Hope it can help you :)
Have a good day

Sebastiano Nutarelli
(Embedded image moved to file: pic14708.gif)CSI Piemonte
(Embedded image moved to file: pic00248.gif)C.so Unione Sovietica, 216 -
10134 - Torino - Uff. 221
Direzione Sviluppo Servizi su Rete e Banche Dati
Settore Dati e Servizi Informativi in rete
Portali di servizi WEB e Laboratorio di Accessibilità e Usabilità

(Embedded image moved to file: pic07491.gif)e-mail:
sebastiano.nutarelli@csi.it
(Embedded image moved to file: pic13712.gif)Tel. +39 011 3169372
(Embedded image moved to file: pic05131.gif)Cell. +39 349 8673569
----- Inoltrato da Sebastiano Nutarelli/CSI/IT il 12/07/05 14.32 -----

                      Gautier Barrere
                      <barrere@gmail.co        Per:      w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
                      m>                       Cc:
                      Inviato da:              Oggetto:  WCAG 1.0 checkpoint 10.4
                      w3c-wai-ig-reques
                      t@w3.org

                      12/07/05 13.24
                      Per favore,
                      rispondere a
                      Gautier Barrere

Hi all !

I have one question concerning the checkpoint 10.4 :
If you use forms : "Until user agents handle empty controls correctly,
include default, place-holding characters in edit boxes and text
areas."

It's quite easy to respect this checkpoint is I use drop down menu...

But how can I do if I use radio ou check button ? (for instance for
the gender choice, between, "man and woman")

I should do a choice by default, for instance "man" but it won't
ensure relevance of the data gathered (Indeed, I'm sure that a lot of
women won't change this, even if they will respond to my form).

Do you have any solution to my problem ?

Thanks.

Gautier

pic14708.gif
(image/gif attachment: pic14708.gif)