Rif: Complex table

From: <Sebastiano.Nutarelli@csi.it>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 13:28:42 +0200
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Hi all,

One of the problems I have in implementing accessibility is complex data
table. Take the example from the attached graphic. The table is
basically the HTML version of a form.
Now, how do I make this type of table accessible? Should I put all rows
into one table or should I break each chunk of rows as separate table?
How do I put the th element and how does the relationship between th and
other th elements in different row and between th and td elements?

I really appreciate your input/feedback on this.

Thanks and regards,
Budy Harnata

Sebastiano Nutarelli:

Mmhh...
I'm thinking about possibility to use three differebte table.
First line and last line could considerated logically separated by the rest
of the table.
I mean: first line=first table, from second line=second table, last
line=third table
In the second table you shold use id and headers to create a relationship
between th and td cells, colspan to "embrace" child cells, and...that's it!

Anyway, probably best solution is to use a table for all contents in your
image, in this way:
for last line.
In this way you can embrace all content in a unique data table but separate
them in 3 different semantic units using table attributes (and realizing it
using just in central block headers and id to guarantee a relation between
cells to force table reading).
Don't you think it could be best solution for this case?
Have fun!
Bye

Sebastiano Nutarelli
IWA/HWG Member