Re: label tag question

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@sidar.org>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 16:48:23 +1000
To: jim@jimthatcher.com, "'Beheler Kim'" <beheler_kim@bah.com>, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:10:03 +1000, Jim Thatcher <jim@jimthatcher.com>

> The best alternative hasn't yet been mentioned; the title attribute.
> <input name="filterId" value="" id="filterId" type="text" title="search
> text" />
> It doesn't depend on whether or not the text is visible. It uses the
> title as it should be used.

It does use the title as it should be used, but it is invisible to many
people. I don't think it is a good pure substitute for a proper label -
more a good parallel resource to cope with the fact that people need to
use different and generally incomplete tools to get the best possible
access for themselves.

Charles McCathieNevile                      Fundacion Sidar
charles@sidar.org   +61 409 134 136    http://www.sidar.org