RE: Copywriting for Screenreaders (was Alt text for URL's)

From: Patrick Lauke <P.H.Lauke@salford.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 15:25:50 -0000
To: "wai-ig list" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> david poehlman
[snip]
> Jaws won't need all
> that special
> stuff nor will window eyes and we won't have "skip..."
> because we won't have
> to.

As mentioned before, accessibility is not just about blind
users with the latest screenreaders...

Also, even though there is no specific checkpoint covering
exactly this issue, I do see it falling squarely within the
idea/ethos behind WCAG 1.0 guideline 10 ... use interim
solutions.

In that respect, I'd say skip links are similar to the
horrible [D] links for image longdesc. Yes, user agents
should provide sensible mechanisms to expose this functionality
to the user, but in the meantime we authors can include extra
hooks. Yes, possibly a hack...granted...but nonetheless needed
"until user agents" get better (and even then you may need to
think about users that don't have the latest and greatest
version).

Patrick
Patrick H. Lauke
Webmaster / University of Salford