Re: Copywriting for Screenreaders (was Alt text for URL's)

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 22:41:38 +0000 (GMT)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> Ok,  I'll put it succinctly.  If site navigation is so bad that it needs to
> be skipped, how can it be improved so that it does not need to be skipped.

In my view, an opportunity was lost (by browsers trying to be Acrobats,
not browsers[A]) to use link properly and have the browser bring up the
site content menu (in a browser dependent way) in response to an appropriate
link element (the link type existed from very early in the life of HTML).
Now, it would be seen as a lost branding opportunity, so would not be
adopted by commercial sites.

Incorporating site navigation into detail pages is an example of trying
to write documents as web applications, not documents.

[A] I.E. the original Mozilla was a presentational tool, not a real browser.