Re: RES: div with absolute positioning.

From: Alastair Campbell <ac@nomensa.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 09:37:38 +0000
To: edson rufino de souza <edesign@click21.com.br>
CC: WAI IG <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

edson rufino de souza wrote:
> iīve
> been analysing many web sites with wcag compliance, iīve been noted that
> divīs with absolute positioning arenīt used.  whatīs the reason for this?

I don't think there is a strict accessibility rule not to use absolute
positioned divs, but to accommodate varying font and window sizes it is
often easier to use floats for layout.

For example, a floated navigation bar will push down the footer of a
page with little content. However, an absolutely positioned navigation
bar will overlap with the footer if the content is not as long. (This
example assumes a 2 or 3 column layout with a 100% wide footer.)

Kind regards,

-Alastair

--

Alastair Campbell   |   Director of Research & Development

Please refer to the following disclaimer for this message:
http://www.nomensa.com/email/disclaimer.html