RE: accessible banking:

I don't think the issue with these vendors is one of loving Microsoft or
having some distaste of other environments, but one of investment level
and skills needed to comply.  I have been in deep lurk for a long time
on this list, but the last time I tried to get a comprehensive response
together on how to comply with the stated objectives of the members of
this list, I came up with 8 separate environments that needed to be
separately tested for usability, especially if you wanted to present the
"image" of the company reasonably effectively.

A text only site would presumably meet all the objectives of this group
but would be derided by most evaluators of web sites as "plain jane",
lost in accounting terminology, nerdy, etc.  So, the investment to get
to where this group would be happy is:
1. A text only site tested in Firefox on 3 or more platforms
2. A text only site tested on Internet Explorer on several versions of
IE
3. The main site that works with both IE and Firefox for non-disabled
persons to meet the image needs
4. Test one of these on Macintosh under probably 3 browsers
5. Test under Opera in combination with several OSs
6. Test under Lynx on Linux and Windows
7. Test under ...

Each test might require over 100 different web pages be tested for a
typical banking application.  This kind of investment is significant to
the banks, etc. who need to absorb all this to get a fraction of their
clients going.  Yes, it is a "right" to have access, but it is not clear
exactly how much of this is required to provide the rights.

And, I'm sure I can find a lot of people who would assert that Linux is
only cheaper if your time is very inexpensive.

We need good standards that allow us to not have to do all of this
testing and building of separate solutions, and we need to work hard on
the vendors of browsers to do the needed work to make them compatible.

Regards,
Dan Nissen
Manager
Recovery, Optimization, and Development Products
Unisys ClearPath 2200 Systems
Roseville, MN USAmerica
Net2 524-5131  +1(651)635-5131
Fax +1(651)635-5544