Re: accessible banking:

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, Kelly Pierce wrote:

> I remember how this was a big issue in the late 1990s.  the mainstream was
> using Netscape navigator or Internet Explorer with Windows and many blind
> computer users were still using Lynx on a Unix shell with DOS.  Switching to
> Windows meant buying a completely new computer with new application software
> and a new screen reader, which cost considerable money.  nearly all of those
> users have transitioned from DOS to windows in the past five to seven years
> as they needed to replace their computer systems.  At a certain point
> though, I wonder how long the far trailing edge of technology needs to be
> supported.

Linux, Lynx and emacspeak are all still fully supported and Linux FC3 is
as new as last month.

> I'm happy to be in Windows and not have to type commands for everything I do
> online like I needed to do with Unix.  Ceaseless typing and occasional
> consulting of reference cards was getting old.

different folks, different strokes....forcing one to buy new computers
and software just to use a site that should be accessible.  just because
you don't like typing commands doesn't mean another person might hate
using a mouse, I touch type at 65wpm and hate mice, they slow me down and
they are very hard to use in text, heck half my software won't even work
with a mouse even if I wanted to.   and for what it is worth I have less
than $35 in all the software on my computer, I own it all and it is all
legal, why in the name of all that is sensible would I want to hobble my
computer with bloated insecure software that costs a fortune and forces me
to keep buying more and more stuff I don't want or need.
   and I am not alone, more and more folks are making that decision every
day.

Bob

> Kelly

CONFIGURE YOUR E-MAIL TO SEND TEXT ONLY, see http://expita.com/nomime.html

safety deserve Neither liberty nor safety",    Benjamin Franklin
    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net