RE: Colours to aid people with dyslexia (was: Using CSS to create zoom layouts for low-vision people)

From: John Colby <John.Colby@uce.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 18:13:40 -0000
To: "David Woolley" <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

-----Original Message-----
From: w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of David Woolley
Sent: 13 January 2005 07:06
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: Colours to aid people with dyslexia (was: Using CSS to
create zoom layouts for low-vision people)

> Ensure your text can be manipulated in the way that the individual
user
> wants

Which surely means the best answer is that no colour should be
specified,
so that the user can set up their browser with the best colours for
them.

[John Colby]
Except that for the majority of users who have no difficulty with normal
web colours the site will look a bit bland and they won't as readily
come back. We have to provide a deign standard that look good - and then
enable the user to choose other options if they need/want to, don't
degrade our own sites to plain looks just because we can offer a choice.

John Colby
Lecturer, School of Computing and Information
Room F328a, Feeney Building, University of Central England,
Franchise Street, Perry Barr, Birmingham B42 2SU