Re: Divs and frames...

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 09:14:45 +0100 (BST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> Is it possible at all to create a web page without having to write
> redundant code (if using a menu or similar) and without having to use

Simply keep navigation and content separate.  That's how HTML was designed
to be used!  The real solution would have been for browsers to handle
link rel=content much better, but that option has been lost because
the frame structure is now used for branding.  (If people really need to
see the site menu in parallel with every page, an imaginative use of
rel=content would have displayed that page alongside every page that
referenced it.)

Most of the redundant code that I see on web sites is styling and scripting
anyway, so simply using style sheets properly, etc., may mean that the
navigation and branding parts of the page are not so dominant.

The other important thing is to make the real content come early, so that
people can abandon the page quickly if the content isn't what they want,
and make sure that you don't use table-layout: auto tables, which frustrate
progressive rendering.