Re: Clear communication: (was RE: Re: Accessibility of "CHM" format resources)

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 10:49:33AM -0400, Orion Adrian wrote:

> I would first point out that I'm not a website. While my personal
> communication style is unique or at least non-standard, it doesn't
> mean that I don't know what I'm talking about.

Perhaps not, but it could well mean that WE don't know what you are
talking about. We are discussing a technical subject on this mailing
list, not art, precision is called for in the language used.

> I never said by myself. And I never implied vendor lock-in. Standards
> are to be written by the most responsive body. Once known, the
> Microsoft Office formats have been standardized on.

Once the .doc format was reverse-engineered word processors other then
MS Word still have difficultly with complex documents (since the
reverse engineering is imperfect). For that matter, different versions
of Word have problems! (I seem to recall a few years ago I had to
convert a word document into a more recent version of .doc using Word
Perfect since MS Word couldn't cope!)

Is Microsoft really the most responsive body anyway? When the majority
of desktops run MS Office, their format becomes a defacto standard
through inertia / monopoly control, not through the quality of the
format.

> What I felt almost immediately in the response to saying that I was a
> CSS master programmer was that rather than deal with the comments I
> was making or asking me to elaborate, I felt people immediately
> focusing in on the statement which was mearly meant to demonstrate
> understanding and time spent.

My point exactly. Since you used terms (like "programmer")
incorrectly, you utterly failed to demonstrate understanding and time
spent. It made you *appear* to be an ignorant newbie with far less
understanding then you claim. People do not enjoy being told they are
wrong, let alone being told they are wrong by someone who appears to
lack the knowledge and experience to make such a judgement.