Re: origin of colour contrast algorithms

From: Chris Ridpath <chris.ridpath@utoronto.ca>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 09:33:04 -0400
To: <steven.faulkner@nils.org.au>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Cc: "Michael Cooper" <michaelc@watchfire.com>

Hi Steve,

> I can't find any information on how the W3C algorithms were derived.
> anybody have any background info on this?

The ATRC used the color contrast algorithm in a study published in 2000:
http://www.aprompt.ca/WebPageColors.html

The algorithm was then included in the AERT document.

I don't recall where the algorithm originally came from but there are
several references to it on the web. I remember that Michael Cooper and I
looked into its origins several years ago but could not find where it came
from.

Cheers,
Chris