RE: Are we really still talking about Access Keys?

David Woolley wrote:

> The real problem though is that once you allow an author control of
> something, it becomes part of their particular house style
> and the user
> ends up having to provide custom overrides for every site, which is
> not realistic.  The precedent from other areas (e.g. the way
> that links
> are disguised in many different ways) is that authors consider their
> right to design a higher priority than producing consistent
> user interfaces;
> the web was the death of platform user interface guidelines.

Thank you.  This more than anything is the real point of my rants.
Perpetuating the author's ability to bind a specific key to "access" or
"accesskey" is the real issue, as it descends into exactly the scenario you
have just described, which I cannot see as being an "accessible" solution or
recommendation.

JF