RE: Are we really still talking about Access Keys?

From: Patrick Lauke <P.H.Lauke@salford.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 15:51:53 +0100
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> John Foliot

> Why does this matter now?  If in fact nobody is using them
> (due to their
> implementation flaw), and introducing them opens the possibility of
> potential conflict, are those 2 reasons not enough to just stop?

Just thinking about getting a clear picture for *future* implementations,
so as not to repeat the mistakes of the past. I agree that in the current
situation, it may be a bit late in the day to try and make radical changes
to the current prescriptive (i.e. not overridable by users) model.

(Having said that, I think I'll spend some time tonight to see if I can
come up with a small FF extension to change the browser's accesskey shortcut
mechanism from ALT to something a bit less conflicting...mainly as an
exercise in adapting FF)

Patrick
Patrick H. Lauke
Webmaster / University of Salford