Hardware/software for paralysed people?

From: Myhill, Carl S (GE Energy) <carl.myhill@ps.ge.com>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 10:26:31 -0400
To: WAI Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Hi All,

Apologies if this is a bit off topic.

Does anyone know the state of the art software/hardware to help paralysed
people communicate? I'm looking into this for a friend whose relative has
recently suffered paralysis from the neck down, including loss of speech but
facial movements and some eye movements are possible.

I'm quite ignorant of the state of the art - anyone an expert on this?
What's out there?
- eye tracking stuff? What's the best?
- mouse movement from neural activity?
- can anything work from other facial movements?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Carl