Re: Skip links ARE a markup problem (was RE: Skip links should be a markup problem)

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 21:08:24 +0100 (BST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> Dropped out of the specs? Last I looked, it was alive and well. You mean
> the elements have been ignored by most developers.

The original specifications defined various link types.  These were reduced
and then banished to hypthetical profiles.

> What about META tags? They don't have a visual effect, but some commercial
> developers obsess about them ;)

My impression is that META elements were invented in order to allow
MS Word to store its metainformation in Word generated HTML without
having to think about ways of using the existing constructs.  In particular,
the hyperlinking <link rev=made...> became the non-hyperlinking