Re: accessible on-line survey

From: Matthew Smith <matt@kbc.net.au>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 07:54:59 +0930
To: W3C WAI-IG <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Marjolein Katsma wrote:

> It looks like a very interesting project, but it's not a FOSS PHP
> library.
> What it is, is a free on-line service where you can *build*
> standards-compliant forms which you can then download to use, together
> with a (free) JavaScript library to provide extra functionality (care
> seems to be taken that the form will function correctly without
> JavaScript though). There's a Form Library with forms that have already
> been made and can be used or modified and a collection of stylesheets
> (Form Garden) is planned.
> One could conceivably use this to build a nice (and accessible)
> front-end for a survey, but you'd still have to build all of the
> back-end for actually gathering, storing and processing the
> information.

I use a lot of web forms, written in Perl with a MySQL backend.  To save
time, I wrote a little (Perl) programme that looks at the schemata of
all the tables in a database and produces for each a form, SQL insert,
update and deletes and also a query to populate a hash which can be used
to pre-define form values when going it to edit.  Whilst the results are
never a finished product, they certainly save a lot of work.

It would be easy enough to produce a similar tool to generate PHP and,
for a regular PHP user, probably to write the whole thing in PHP.  From
an accessibility standpoint, using a tool like this does a certain
amount of quality control by making sure that all form fields have
associated labels, valid markup, etc.  Although I use a Tk front end, my
tool is far to crude to be a true authoring tool and would certainly not
be WTAG compliant.

I would assume that to have an accessible survey, the survey build tool
would have to be WTAG compliant, otherwise it's only half accessible...

Matthew Smith
Kadina Business Consultancy, South Australia
Work: <http://www.kbc.net.au> Personal: <http://www.mss.cx>