Re: Skip links should be a markup problem

From: Bryce Fields <bryce.fields@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 15:53:39 -0400
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

On Apr 8, 2005 3:34 PM, Tina Holmboe <tina@greytower.net> wrote:

> On  8 Apr, Joe Clark wrote:
>
> > <http://annevankesteren.nl/archives/2005/04/skip-links>
>
>    "If such a device encounters a list of links ..." - then that list
>    MAY be a navigational menu or it may NOT be a navigational menu.
>    There are no HTML elements with the interpreted semantics of "menu"
>    today. It was tossed out, remember?

Theoretically, one could denote w/in document structure via the LINK
element and author-defined link types.  For example, w/in the document
foo.htm:

<HTML>
<HEAD profile="**link to author definitions**">
<LINK rel="main navigation" href="foo.htm#main_nav">
<LINK rel="main content" href="foo.htm#content>
etc.
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV id="main_nav">
blah blah blah
</DIV>
<DIV id="content">
Yada yada yada
</DIV>
etc.
</BODY>
</HTML>

While that may not convey the semantics to the user agent, it could
possibly convey the semantics to a user via a user agent.

--
Bryce Fields, Webmaster
Where I Work: Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education

"Do or do not! There is no try!" -- Yoda