Re: additional label question

From: Isofarro <lists@isofarro.uklinux.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 23:18:13 +0100
To: jim@jimthatcher.com
CC: 'Beheler Kim' <beheler_kim@bah.com>, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Jim Thatcher wrote:
>> I have a data table that has input boxes in each cell.   Do
>> the label tags need to be associated with the appropriate
>> text in this situation
>
> First of all the answer to question is again the title
> attribute.

We are being advised - by the RNIB - not to have such tabular
forms, but instead break down the form into two separate
fieldsets - one for the first persons details, one for the
second. They never suggested or mentioned using the title attribute.

> But the title attribute on an input is used in exactly those
> cases where the prompting information is available in other
> ways to one who sees the page. So in this case, the column
> headers are obvious when someone is looking at the table -
> but not to a screen reader user as they tab into the form
> control.

I guess using the title would also help people with
learning/cognitive disabilities as well as the screen magnifier
problem of matching up headings and their fields.

The important part, as you say, is using the title attribute as
a secondary means of identification/labelling.

> (IBM uses a hack: an invisible image with alt text enclosed
> in the label element, probably because testing tools don't
> recognize the value of the title attribute - YET. They will.)

This was my proposed solution to the tabular form problem, but
the RNIB didn't like that because older versions of JAWS had
problems using an alt attribute as a label.

Jim, do you have an example of a table-structured form that you
consider accessible?

Thanks,
Mike